Servings: 6, Serving Size: ½ sandwich | Prep Time: 20 minutes
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
¾ cup low-fat ricotta cheese
¼ cup chopped pecans
½ cup Splenda, divided
1½ tsp ground cinnamon, divided
1 cup egg substitute
1 cup fat-free half-and-half
12 slices whole wheat bread
Sugar free syrup (optional)
1 Lean Meat
Calories from Fat 30
Total Fat 3.5g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 19g
Dietary Fiber 3g
- Coat a medium nonstick sauté pan with cooking spray. Sauté apples until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine ricotta, pecans, ¼ cup Splenda and ½ tsp cinnamon. Fold in cooled apples.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg substitute, fat-free half-and-half, remaining Splenda and remaining cinnamon.
- Divide the cheese mixture into six equal portions. Spread one slice of bread with 1/6 of cheese mixture.
Top with another slice of bread. Repeat to make six sandwiches.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Dip each sandwich in egg mixture and cook for
3 - 4 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove from heat and cut in half diagonally.
- Serve with sugar-free syrup, if desired.